Final Assignment, Spring 2014
FINAL PROJECT: SELF-PROMOTION FOLDING MAILER
You are promoting yourself as…: as an artist (any of the arts), as a role that’s part of your personal life (boy/girlfriend, mother, husband, etc.) or in a business capacity (advertise yourself for a job you do or would like to do).
This can be real or imaginary. Make it useful for yourself or for your portfolio or both.
The front panel must be your self-portrait. Use the Illustrator version or any of the Photoshop versions or a new one. Add text as appropriate to your concept. One panel is for mailing (instructions later).
Use at least 50 words of text. I will count, and this does not include the address and other contact information.
If you have a good reason to do a mailer for a friend or relative, present me with your plan for approval. This must be for a real person who needs it for a real reason. Otherwise, do it for yourself!
Make sure your outside panels give people a reason to open their snail mail!
1. Create a new Illustrator document with these specification:
Width 6 inches
Height 8 inches
Bleeds .125 inches. (All art that prints to the edge of the paper must also bleed.)
Note: as an alternate, you can make the height 8 and the width 6, but pay attention to where your mailing information must go. The top must still be the fold.
2. Show the rulers by hitting Command-R
3. Divide both artboards in half across the width using a non-printing guide pulled down from the ruler.
4. Drag down non-printing guides 1/8″ from each side of each panel (see Printer’s requirement below).
5. Design the four panels, allowing for bleeds where needed.
6. PLACE (don’t copy and paste) your Photoshop file(s) into your Illustrator file.
7. Add text using Illustrator, not Photoshop
Mailer panel should include room for a stamp (upper right), a return address (address only, upper left) and space for writing in the address of the recipient. Backgrounds should be light enough that the postage cancellation will show and an address can be written in. Do not put type or images closer to the bottom than 1/4 inch.
The fold must be at the top of the address panel. This is a post office regulation.
No type that you would want anyone to read should be closer than 1/8 inch to any edge of the design on any of the four panels.
TWO IMPORTANT HINTS
- MAKE A PAPER MOCKUP so you will better understand the structure and flow of your design.
- PRINT DRAFTS so you will see the actual printed size of your text: often a surprise vs. screen image.
Print out versions of your artwork. Seeing it on the monitor does not give you a good sense of the scale, especially the size of the type.
Illustrator files can be copied (group elements first) and pasted into your layout.
Photoshop files must be Placed. File > Place. Be aware of how the Photoshop file relates to the Illustrator file: Linked or Embedded.
SAVE YOUR PROJECT AS AN ILLUSTRATOR FILE
SAVE ALSO AS A PRINT-READY PDF
General: Preset: Press Quality. Check View PDF After Saving.
Marks and Bleeds: Check Trim Marks and Use Document Bleed Settings
HAND IN in one folder labeled yourname.mailer.
Illustrator File • All Photoshop files •PDF
MAKE YOURSELF A PAPER MOCKUP!
USE LAYERS TO KEEP WORK ORGANIZED.
INCLUDE A WAY TO CONTACT YOU!